Friday, January 21, 2011

Cameron is here!!











So on January 12th, 2011 Cameron Robert Caskey made his debut at 10:26 pm. He weighed in at 8 lbs 3 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. He is a healthy baby boy and so far has been a pretty easy baby. He is an incredible sleeper and eater and only time he really screams is when getting diaper changed (he hates that). I had a couple instances where I had false labor earlier in the month so was really hesitant to go into hospital even when they got to about 2-3 minutes apart. We got there on Wednesday the 12th at 3:45 pm and I hadn't changed in dilation or ephasing from earlier that day at my appointment. So I was a little discouraged. They had me get up and walk for an hour then the doctor got there and she checked me and I had ephased quite a bit in that hour and gone from a 4 to a 5 so they said ok we are having a baby today and yay they didn't send me home this time!!! in the next couple of hours the contractions got extremely intense and I begged for an interthecal (which I totally regret getting cuz of complications it caused) and after I got that they checked me again and I was an 8 and fully ephased. The doctor at that time broke my waters and this was around 9:30-9:45. At 10:10 I asked them to check me again and the nurse is like um don't push I am getting the doctor. Luckily the doctor was in the hospital and gets there and I push for 6 minutes and out comes baby Cameron!!! Wow I was shocked both the girls were hour and a half of pushing so I was expecting to push a long time again. He looked so tiny so I didn't believe them when they weighed him in at 8 lbs 3 ozs but he is just short and stocky. His head is much smaller than the girls' was so I think that was why it was easier to push him out. All in all it was a good labor.

almost immediately I got a horrible headache (that I am still fighting though its better than it was) that was determined to be a spinal headache caused by a hole in the spinal fluid sac that occured when I got the interthecal. They had a hard time putting it in because of my Scoliosis and had to insert the needle 3 times to get it. On friday they tried to do a blood patch which is where they take blood from my arm and put it in my spine where the interthecal was administered. The idea is that it will cause a blood clot there and stop the leak of spinal fluid which was causing the headaches. Unfortunately it didn't work as it was supposed to, again they think this is because of my scoliosis. I have told Lee that if we are to ever get pregnant again (we are not planning on it) he is to not allow me to get an interthecal ever again!!! The headache is slowly dissipating and I can go longer and longer between pain meds every day.

I am so thankful for this blessing that has been added to our lives. Cameron really makes our family complete. I worried about taking care of a boy but I couldn't be happier with him.
:)

3 comments:

Cooke family said...

Good story! I always like to hear peoples birth stories. I'm glad it went well, except for the headache!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Cameron is really cute. Great to see pics and hear your story.

sixwickerts said...

Congratulations guys! He is beautiful :)Thanks for sharing pictures with those of us not there to celebrate with you!